Sunday, July 10, 2011

That Gut Feeling

Well folks I'm out of commission this week.  Hopefully I will be in my cab next weekend.  I had a little surgery on  my clackers and I'm in a lot of pain.  But I know I will be ready for the road soon.

Anyhow I do have a little story.  Because I don't carry a weapon I am always a little nervous about either picking up a fare that will turn violent or getting robbed.  The more senior cab drivers tell me that its a gut feeling you get if something isn't right.  Not to mention my experiences of growing up in Meadowland gives me a 6th sense if some thing is about to go down.

It was really late and the bars have been out for some time.  I decided to take one more trip through downtown and get one last fare before calling it a night.  There was a group of young men stand there with one punk standing in the middle of the road.  He had his hands up yelling for me to stop.  It almost looked as if he wanted to play chicken.  For some reason I stopped.  As he was walking around the cab to the passenger side he was saying something that I couldn't understand but I could tell he was belligerent.  The hairs on my neck stood on end and my stomach started churning.  I had the window down but the door was locked. I asked, "where ya goin buddy."

As he is reaching into my cab to unlock the door, invading my space now he yells out, "I'm going to fuckin Newington!"

At t hat point I had it with that jerk.  He had that door open at that point.  So I yelled back, "then you better start walking, motherfucker!"  As I drove off. 

I heard him yelling and calling me names as I pulled away.  But I really didn't care.  I knew that guy would be trouble so I left him on t he side of the road.  My senior cabbies were right.  You know if there will be trouble with a fare and you should leave those jerks on the side of the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment